Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I don't know what feeling to follow....

So I love his mom. Instant kindred spirits. Its such an uncanny feeling.

So what's the problem?

There was a situation where while she smiled in my face there were some not nice things said once I left the room.

Ok...so that's life and things like that happen. So my natural reaction is to be on-guard and keep her at a distance. However her niceness is disarming. She makes you feel instantly welcome. She like a glass of your favorite wine. You tell stories around her that you didn't mean to tell. You open up in ways you didn't anticipate.

He swears that she loves me. But I can't get past the past. I'm always so confused when we leave her place because we have such a good time.

I'm usually a good judge of character....this one has me flabbergasted...truly. He regrets telling me about the conversation that he overheard (thats when the not so nice things were said), but had he not told me I think that would've made things worse.

Sorry I'm being so vague here in terms of what was said & when but the details aren't blogger appropriate.

The end result is I don't know which feeling to acknowledge. Do I try to maintain some distance there and dismiss the fact that I like her? Or do I dismiss what happened as a misstep and work on strengthening that relationship? I don't plan on going anywhere so the reality is we'll ultimately be in each other's lives for an indefinite amount of time. Also, to be clear the distance that I maintain is not to be confused with rudeness. He loves his mom and I would never be disrespectful to her.

Sorry if this seems like I'm rambling... the mobile blogging feature is both a blessing and a curse....I'm done. I'm sure this will just be one post of many abt this topic.

1 comment:

Adei von K said...

Ooooooooh, touchy subject.

With the exception of present boo, I've been exceptionally cool with my S.O.'s moms. Like, "still get Christmas cards and meet up for lunch if I'm in town" cool. If s.o mom said something that seemed out of character, I'd take it as just that: out of character.
We all trip and occasionally say bad things about people when we really don't mean it.