Friday, November 6, 2009

The Entire Time?

Monday night Sweets hit me with a statement that I knew was coming, but I had been dreading. He said, "I'm over the wedding talk."


Oh hell! Le Sigh! Egads!

Back story: I firmly believe that it is a red flag when a man shirks away from wedding/marriage talk. I can understand the disdain for the minutia, but if he never wants to talk about it with you, you might want to ask some questions.

Back story pt 2: Sweets isn't in that category. I told him from Day 1 that I like weddings and we've agreed that we're heading toward marriage. I classify those 2 things differently. I've always told him that when the wedding convos get to be too much to just let me know.

So I paused and asked him to clarify. (I mean I need to know how serious the statement was on a scale of 1 to 10).

He thought about it and said, "Do you realize that someone else's wedding has been in the backdrop of our entire relationship?"

Me: "umm.....no...I don't think..ummm...hmm...really?"

Oh hell. He's right.

The first time we went out was the night Jase proposed to Patti. Roger got married a few months later. There was a wedding in Indiana I missed, but swooned over the engagement video. Two weddings in Chicago that I missed. A wedding I was uninvited to, but got the pictures emailed to me (*FACE*). A H.S. pal had a wedding at some point in the mix. Then there was the purple lace catastrophe that prompted a twitter marathon. Ash (my sis) and Steve's planning started right after the Smithville wedding. My friday nights are peppered with "Say Yes To The Dress" and "Wedded to Perfection." The rest of my days are peppered with the phone calls from mom about venues for Ash. Of course, I pass those calls on to him. She (mom) stresses me out. Then there's the normal amount of FB wedding/engagement/reception stalking that occurs.

Sweets was ringing the bell: "¡Ya basta!" (Dave Chapelle's Block Party)

His next statement made me giggle a bit: "By the time we get married, I won't want to do any of the things we've talked about."

Fiiinnneee....So I'm putting the wedding convos on ice. My shows aren't going anywhere, but everything else is going to be on a bit of a pause. I'm sure I'll maintain the usual wedding banter with madam smith and the soon to be madam shea (ash). I'll just keep Sweets on a weekly update schedule and put the rest of my commentary here.

5 comments:

Patti said...

Sounds like a plan to me! I grew tired of talking about my own wedding, but I'm completely re-energized to talk about someone elses :)

Jameil said...

i started guffawing @ My friday nights are peppered with "Say Yes To The Dress" and "Wedded to Perfection." LOLOLOL!! I like show 1 but couldn't get into show 2.

that's not fair!!! i can't even do wedding talk on the blog b/c rashan reads that, too. AND the second i talk about weddings on my blog people start going nuts. I HAVE NO WEDDING OUTLET (other than Stace)!! i'm just a girl! i wanna talk about it! it doesn't mean i'm planning on getting married tomorrow.

AphiQprincess said...

I agree, the boy didnt like the wedding talk either. So I found a great outlet.. weddingbee

Anonymous said...

woman... i didn't say that we should never discuss weddings! i grew tired of my failed attempts of easing your frustrations that certain brides/bride-to-be's so gracefully bestowed upon u. if anybody should be tired of the nuptial talks, it should be you.

Adei von K said...

I was worried for a split second at his quote!!

But he makes sense. And your resolution does too!

P.S. I love Yes to the Dress!