My dear Jameil pointed out that my Sunday post was paltry at best. As a consummate slacker I make no apologies for fluff and no substance. Substance be damned, the world is populated with the lovechildren of mediocrity and pomp. There are some overachievers sprinkled in to populas as well to A)get things done and B) burn-out and allow the slackers to shine.
With that being said, lets try the weekend recap once more.
So I've never been big on Halloween. It's not a big JA holiday and my parents were/are appalled by the mutilation of pumpkins for any other reason besides eating them (didn't show mom the pics from the pumpkin party @ Patti's). As I type this there is a quarter of a pumpkin in my mother and grandmother's fridge for soup, boiling, roasting etc. (oh yea....we don't make pies). Anywho so this is my second Halloween with Sweets. The first one was completely uneventful so we made plans to head downtown and be amidst the hoards of drunken people, trashy women, and tomfoolery.
I don't go out much....(read: ever)...so anytime there are grounds for an outting I empty my entire closet into several overnight bags (I need options) and then I try to piece together whatever is appropriate 'going out' attire (read: I have no clue what the young folks are wearing these days---LOL one of my fave phrases).
While Sweets was at work mom and I crashed a wedding reception for research purposes and it was LOVELY! The coordinator at the hotel mentioned that Halloween was a hard sell (wonder why) and so he gave them a discount etc. for picking pumkin day for their nuptials. I was expecting campy and ghoulish fair. Instead it was a wonderfully sophisticated affair with the women in tea length black dresses and the men in tuxes. The room was flooded in plum tones and it was the absolute embodiment of a grown party. Loved it! There wasn't a pumpkin in sight. Nothing about the room, the cocktail setup, the centerpieces etc said Halloween.
Fab!
As mom and I traipsed around the hotel/resort checking out the place from a "night perspective" the sound of the ocean hitting the shore was the perfect backdrop to the evening. Hmmm.....Ash will be here next weekend to check the venue out for herself.
I headed back home to gather my closet and head over to Sweets. Now Sweets had mentioned briefly, via twitter, that he was outdone with all things 2 legged, upright, and breathing. He and mankind were done. I wasn't sure how that would translate into the night, but I figured hey...lets give this Halloween festival a shot.
Hmm...once Sweets got home, I could tell that the Halloween festival wasn't going to happen (so wasn't unhappy with that one). We pre-gamed, gamed, and post-gamed on our varying drinks of choice, ordered in, played with the puppy and watched movies. At some point we passed out only to wake up, go to breakfast and then pass back out.(Sweets went to work--poor thing).
In short, the weekend was GLORIOUS! This is the kind of Halloween I can believe in....bring on pumkin day 2010! Oh and apparently one of my bosses, several co-workers, and my brother were all at the Halloween festival...and I missed them all. FTW!
3 comments:
Sounds like my kind of Halloween!!
i had a ball doing halloween for the first time ever. i saw all kinds of madness! lol @ "my parents were/are appalled by the mutilation of pumpkins for any other reason besides eating them!" i've never heard that one! i like it! pumpkin pie isn't great. not nearly as good as sweet potato. do y'all make those?
I can't say I've ever eaten anything pumpkin. Seeds when I was in elem school and that's it! Must try this soup you speak of... M.Dot!
The reception sounds AWESOME!! Makes me think of an Oct 31 date if it means getting a discount!! Dani and plum tones; love it.
so neither one of us made it to moon fest. fine with me too!
Post a Comment