Friday, November 20, 2009

32 Problems....But A Seat Ain't One

My mother calmly announced that the Thanksgiving Dinner count is at 32.

(Pause)

Dani: "32 what?"
Mom: "People...duh!" (she does really say duh....le sigh)
Dani: "To go where and why? They don't have families?"
Mom: "Dani**** ***** ******(full gov't) get yourself together!"

Ummm....

Ok see if you follow me on this one. Thanksgiving is not a Jamaican holiday. Not that we don't celebrate it, I'm just saying. The menu choices tend to be a bit colorful. For years I had to beg for Turkey. No seriously. You know what makes the menu every year without fail? Curried goat. Love me some goat. Don't get me wrong, but it's not on the Thanksgiving sale aisle at your local grocer.

I love going to other houses for Thanksgiving plates. Why? Because sometimes you just want a "traditional" meal. Greens please. No, not Callaloo. Greens. Collards to be specific. Gravy please. No do not point me to the curried goat gravy! Potatoes, preferably mashed. Not dumplings. Yams please. No! not the boiled yellow ones. Thankfully I have an aunt from GA so we will have mac-n-cheese. I'm pretty sure that turkey will see some jerk seasoning, though.

I'm not having a cultural identity crisis. I'm just stating how I feel. I love the dishes I grew up on, but sometimes I just want to have a plain ole Turkey Day fare.

Back to the 32 guests......32 people have signed up for our Island Turkey Day celebration. Me personally, I would've gone with a house that had some greens. Should be interesting. I don't even know where we'll put them(I know where I'm sitting!). How and ever....I'll have camera in hand once the Carrot Juice laced with white rum (seriously, you've got to get my mom to make it for you--Ok maybe there are some good pluses) starts to flow.

4 comments:

Lex said...

Ummm wow! 32???? Thats intense! And I thought my house with 12 guests was going to be a lot. I'm sure it will delicious and fun. Eat some of that curry goat for me :)

AphiQprincess said...

Thats cool my family used to make jerk turkey and rice and peas during thanksgiving and dont forget the mac n cheese with vegetables lol

Jameil said...

you people w/non-native american parents are hilarious. there are probably 32 people signed up because they get that normal stuff every year. why not have an island thanksgiving one year? i'd totally do it. never had curry goat, jerk turkey, callaloo, (i don't eat yams anyway so skip that but i've never had em boiled & yellow), or rum-laced carrot juice. maybe one year! lol.

Adei von K said...

Are you guys having this dinner at Grace????

and YESSSSS!!!! on the traditional!!!!!! OMG, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE collard greens! LOVE! The first time I had them, I was at deidre's house... that and baked mac...

weird.

anyway, I'm trying to make my way to Kitty's place!