I work online. Let me pause. One of my three jobs is for a web-based media company. Therefore communication is primarily through an AIM type chat program, email, and occassionally text. Because I manage the employees at this company, I tend to use specific and deliberate wording in all of my "office communication." After all, it's a virtual work model and so things can get lost in translation.
Because I also work two other jobs, my wording is often times not only really specific and it can get really terse. Less flowery, more to the point. I don't really have time for coddling and virtual hand-holding. I need you to get my point and then get on with your business. Please and thank you.
If this post thus far has a hint of "stank" on it, then my intentions are met.
Let me explain to you why I have a heavy "sigh" and my keystrokes are a bit more aggressive than usual. I sent out an email to my top tier employees. These are the people that I meet with virtually once a week and give them guidelines and parameters for them to pass on their staffmembers. These are the employees that I know personally. We've worked together for years. If everything crumbled tomorrow, we could salvage the company with just me and this team. This team is excellent and what they do and apparently equally excellent at what they can't do. The "can't" is the minutia.
Here's my story. I sent an email to these employees. The first paragraph of the email read: "Here is the week's agenda, I'm sending this to you in lieu of our conference call. Please read the items and contact me individually if you have any questions/concerns."
Straightforward right?
I got two reply emails asking for the time of the conference call and two reply emails asking for the conference call number. I got one phone call (before 7:30am-I think I was breathing fire through the phone) asking why when they called the conference call number there was another call in progress.
Seriously?
I just....I just can't.
Log out.
1 comment:
FACE
so 'in lieu' was lost in translation, I see. booooo top tier!
Post a Comment