Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ranting

Brew bore the brunt of this rant...I'm sorry.

I'm now all caught up on the inauguration tv coverage that I missed while I was in DC.  Something has been rubbing me the wrong way about the first inaugural ball--namely Beyonce's participation.

  
When the Heart of the City Tour came to Miami, Jay-Z had an entire segment in the show dedicated to Obama and change.  That was March of 2008.  Well before that, and actually after that point, it was often brought up how Black America was always the last group to support someone from the black community.  It was as though the majority had to be supportive, in order for us to feel as though we could also back a black candidate.  It was also pointed out that the hip-hop(and the rest of the black music--exception Will.I.Am) community had been rather silent about the election and candidates etc.

Jay & Diddy started to get more vocal about Obama in 2007 and kicked it into high-gear in 2008.  50 backed Hillary ***sigh***(not sighing about his choice, but for his 'I do controversy' stance on everything).  (Note--50 Later switched back to Obama).  By the time the primaries came around Feb of 2008 it was clear that Obama had done the impossible, but it wasn't until Hillary conceded in June of 2008 that it made everything official.

Here's my issue.  Beyonce went from singing at Bush's inauguration in 2001, to "I don't discuss politics" in 2006, to being totally mum about her candidate pick in 2007, to sporting a random Obama shirt here and there in 2008, to making the statement that she flew back from Japan the night before the election to watch the event with her family, while donning a red, white, and blue outfit.  Once Obama won, she then stated she'd love to participate in the inauguration, which went from a possibility, to the inaugural concert, to VIP seating on inauguration day, to singing the first song dedicated to the couple at the first ball, which was broadcast on ABC.

For real???

I'm just curious....there have been die-hard supporters from Day 1 like Kerry Washington and Matt Damon that despite any flack they might receive career-wise supported Obama.  I understand the politics that surrounds Hollywood and the music industry, but aren't some things worth standing up for and not toe-ing the line about?  You mean to tell me there wasn't another R&B singer that supported Obama from day 1 that could have shouldered that honor?  Hmm...but I guess there isn't another Beyonce.  She did a wonderful performance (I'll keep my anger about the choice to remake 'At Last' to myself---somethings shouldn't be touched).  She is a superstar--I will concede there...But I'm just....just curious.....No one else came to mind?

You see...my biggest issue about Beyonce isn't a hating thing.  It's a "i don't like to feel like I'm getting played" thing.

She and Jay-Z dated for forever.   She denied it, he denied it--we all knew the truth.  They got married in April of 2008---she denied it.  Gave a standard "I don't talk about my personal life" answer.  She had an album to promote and all of a sudden information about the wedding and her happiness were dropped off like bread crumbs.  She and Papa Knowles are the best in the business at controlling her image and her status.  She is everywhere and then nowhere when it's convenient to her.

She is the only person that I know that can have a lackluster sophomore album and still make it fly off the shelves.  Am I the only one to realize that she's only had three solo albums?  Seems like way more.  Do you remember pre-Beyonce world?  Good Luck.  She is at every single awards show.  Music & movies---I have yet to see a good acting performance(maybe Obsessed?)  Anywho.  I don't like being played.  I feel like she is in the right place and the right time for everything.  Her career is a balancing act in which she toes the line through everything to be a part of everything. 

I'm done.

4 comments:

DrMPH said...

I so agree..I didn't like the choice of the PIC to included her in everything there were so many people that were pro obama for so so so long eww... SO instead of re blogging your blog I will just say I agree!

Adei von K said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! CAN I PLEASE POST THIS FACEBOOK!?!?!? OMG, YOU HIT IT ON THE DAMN HEAD, DANI Q!!

I rolled my eyes so hard at her singing at last and tearing up when she was done...(something i thing was an act if you ask me)

the album has all of 11 songs on a double disc and people act like its manna! THIS IS WHY I "HATE" HER! GO SOMEWHERE!!

the joy said...

wow so true. i am the type who's never afraid to be different (cuz it was gonna happen anyway), and this post speaks to why people really need bey to sit down. she's so constructed. bless her heart.

Jameil said...

she is an AWFUL actress. just hot mess all around in that respect. then she is ever present. that has always annoyed me. do like usher. disappear for a while and make us miss you. and stop pumping out 10 track albums (on a double disc???? OUTRAGEOUS) you made in 2.5 wks b/c IT SHOWS. we can tell you didn't put any effort into it. just stop.