Sunday, January 25, 2009

Too Soon????

"A woman in lust wants chocolate. A woman in love wants diamonds."
---How to lose a guy in 10 days

Sweets conceded to watch the movie...the line picked me.

Ironically, I was going to do this post anyway...the quote is just a perfect way to jump into this topic.

Do certain things in life take a specific amount of time??

Lets get specific.....

Does a certain amount of time have to pass for you to be sure about:

1. Wanting to share a place with your significant other?
2. Wanting to spend the rest of your life with that person?
3. Wanting a family with that person?

...Taking a line from the movie....How quickly can you move from wanting chocolate to wanting diamonds?


In my reality, nothing in the relationship feels rushed.  Everything seems totally natural...but there are unspoken timeframes that seem to be pervasive when you talk to anyone about love and relationships.

For instance: 

Love at first sight?  Seems rather sketchy....you'd have to know the person first to really love them...right??

Dating for 5 years (when you are over the age of 30 for some....over the age of 25 for others)?
When are you going to take the plunge?

Engagement that lasts less than a year? Hmmm what's the rush?

Engagement over 3 years? What's taking so long?


I've been googling relationship timeframes and according to Dr. John Van Epps (wrote a book called How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk: The Foolproof Way to Follow Your Heart Without Losing Your Mind), there is a 3-month rule(scroll to the Jerk section) when getting to know someone that is supposed to be foolproof. Hmmm...Is there anything in a relationship that is foolproof?


I stumbled on this video....it's worth the watch.  The site has a ton of relationship gems.
 



Ok...ok....I know what your brain is saying...."Don't listen to anyone just follow your own path..."  

Yea that's cute.  But its not realistic.  If I have a medical question/concern I stalk the internet until I self-diagnose.  If there is a song that I need the name/artist for, then I stalk the internet until I figure it out.  If I'm already asking myself the relationship 'hard questions,' then I'm all over the internet trying to figure it out.

I'm sure there will be more posts about this......

1 comment:

Adei von K said...

Wow. I felt Carrie Bradshaw all thru this

*deep breath*

you got me.