Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Hate You...and your allowance!

So at the salon today I peered through my "Simba mane" to take a look at a high-school chick that was also getting her hair done.

Her pedicure was fresh and her hair had an "instant-wrap" essence (a-la Soon to be Mrs. Patti in her relaxer days) that could only have been attained through a faithful 2-week appointment schedule.

She was happy...with the worlds smallest purse...I'm assuming she had a driver's license, debit card, lip gloss, and a cell phone.

She looked like the only thing she knew of "bills" was that it was 1/3 of the title of an "old school"(to her) Destiny's Child song. There was a cherubic glow about her that comes with being unfamiliar with overdraft fees and ramen noodles.

Her bank account was mommy-funded and daddy-approved. She was young and well-maintained and I hated her for it. I should be more of an adult than I am, but I can't deal. I'm at my first hair appointment in months. I've (gasp--never thought it would come to this) started to do my own pedicures, I went an entire summer without a french manicure (yes even in '09 sometimes I like a throwback look).

Effectively, I tapped into my inner recessionista once my bank account tapped out.

I cannot believe that I looked forward to adulthood! A few people on twitter reminded me why I thought things would be different. They pointed to my love of shows like "Living Single", "SATC", "Girlfriends", and "Friends." Now when I watch those shows I realize that the characters aren't in their 20's....they are in their early (mid & late) 30's. I just hope that with the rapidly approaching 3-0 I will have more financial security and room for the kind of fun that requires a sitcom laughing track.

In the meantime....hey little girl....give me your damn allowance!

3 comments:

Adei von K said...

I remember those days... every two weeks for at least 10 YEARS... I was sitting in Ms. Katie's salon on a Saturday morning.

yeah, ART will set you up for failure in real LIFE. I wish my life would imitate SATC art.

Jameil said...

ummm i can't say other than finances that i want my life to be like SATC. and i'd pick charlotte post-trey, miranda or samantha's finances b/c carrie's were a hot mess. they were pushing 40 before they got their love lives together.

Brew said...

You should have hit her in the back of the head and taken the money out of her purse. THAT would have made you feel better and you would have come extra cash. ; )