So today I finally realized that a co-worker at job 3 has been calling me 'Justine' for the past few weeks. I don't even know where he pulled that from, but since my standard greeting is a smile and nod, I never actually listened to what he had been calling me.
The question is at what point is it too late to correct someone about your name?
My fantastic front (yep I'm just going to stop putting quotes on that, since I barely remember the person that was my actual front) has been known for skewering the population of people that shorten her given name.
I am slightly less aggressive about my name, however, if you mispell the 8-letter form or the 4-letter form you are officially dead to me. Ok, maybe I am a bit aggressive about it.
Anyway, once you've interacted with someone daily for three weeks only to realize that you don't know their name can you still ask them for it? How about 3 months?
Do the rules change if you want someone to call you by a different name? Or are you stuck with the name that you used to introduce yourself?
At job 2, everyone operates on a shortened version of their name. That is a first for me, usually I issue anyone affiliated with work the 8-letter version of my name and keep it moving. The co-workers are the type to either take your shortened version or give you one of their own. **Face** that wasn't happening, so everyone uses to the 4-letter form of my name. I want, however, to revoke that right for the one chick that I can't stand. Hearing the intake of breath that she takes just prior to uttering my name makes me want to slap her.
Likewise, Sweets issued everyone his government name when he started working there. Yea....just try to come in and ask for Sh---- you'll get a **blank stare**.
I suppose in both of those instances we are just stuck....it has been almost two years.
Anyone know what the rule is when it comes to names, or should I just tap in to my inner 'Justine'?
3 comments:
Well as you so wonderfully stated I am a fanatic about my name. It is never too late to change it. It may be hard to get people to come on board but just give them the look that only you my friend can give and they will hop on board... :)
Sooo there is this woman, who doesn't work in my specific Department but uses an empty office inside my Department (local government and budget cuts have neccesitated random people working inside our office space). While the case may be that we do not interact consistently, I do however, handle the budget for the Agency she does work for and have had at least 2 meetings with her. Whenever I see her in the 'hallways' she addresses me as Alicia.
I have pondered this same question, when is it too late to correct her? If I do correct her, am I being rude?
I would love to find out what you hear about this situation and let me know what I should do, perhaps I too should tap into my inner Alicia.
Is that a joke? You just gonna be Justine for the rest of your days? LOL I'm thinking you need to arrange a meeting with someone who actually knows your name and have her introduce you guys.
Post a Comment