Thursday, December 17, 2009

(Ahem) Outskirts Of Smithville

Two weeks ago, Mr. Smith(mine) and I spent a wonderful amount of time chatting with the Smiths and Bakimas about life, love, relationships, etc. At one point Senior Mr. Smith (Patti's Hubby) expressed that he didn't want Junior Mr. Smith to feel 'pressured' by all of the wedding/marriage talk.



::Giggles::



We had to clarify that we have been having 'the marriage convo' since we met. I completely appreciated Sr. Smith looking out for Sweets, but I wasn't sure why he thought it was necessary. They are so shockingly similar that I would've thought that he'd assume they had the same 'gung ho-ness' about marriage. Sweets astutely suggested that the hesitation, in general, may have had something to do with our age difference.
Ah! Bingo!
So in our journey to Smithville our age difference or more so the fact that there is an age difference (5 yrs, 10 mos. to be exact) has popped up a time or two before. Makes me giggle that while my dear sis is 4 yrs and 7 months younger than her fiancee, the age difference is completely acceptable. Booo....

In our quest to Smithville, I'm sure the age difference will surface right up until we have 'cupcakes'(little ppl). I don't pretend to think that everything will be roses and gumdrops, but I think as long as we focus on accomplishing our goals and strengthening our relationship everything else will fall by the wayside. Besides, when we first met only one of us had a marriage/family plan....twasn't I.



9 comments:

Jameil said...

are sr. & jr. smith related? your posts continually confuse me.

DaniColoredGlasses said...

No....Patti and I just randomly ended up with guys with the same last name. Jase often refers to Shayne as his little brother, since he's older. Hence the Sr & jr.

Jameil said...

lol. thx.

Adei von K said...

cupcakes... tooo cuute!!

that's funny that Jase felt the need to "protect" Shayne from the pressure!

Patti said...

Now that you mention it - it really is quite hilarious. Lord knows that Jase would have proposed immediately if he thought I'd agree to marry him.

Btw, I (moreso than Sr. Smith) am always mindful of the similar age difference between Ash and Steve. Idunno how more or less acceptable it is. At this point, we really dont care how old any of you are!

All I know is that Kakes is usually the one who mentions a year where I know he was a toddler, which then forces me to call him out - lol.

Naima said...

Yeah, I tend to forget about the age difference. Except for when we have those conversations that start with, "I remember this song from high school..." or some random 80s childhood reference and the crickets come out for both Shayne and Bakari (who has me by 6 years).

Adei von K said...

wait Naima...

Bakari is 6 years older than you? Bakari is 34 years old? YOUR Bakari graduated from high school in 1993????????????????????????

Naima said...

LoL -- yup. Actually, he graduated in 1992 because he skipped 1st grade...so he was an extra young freshman.

Patti said...

Naima, how did I miss that? I knew he was on the other side of 30, but not that he'd settled into his 30s and made himself comfy. Like I said before, I don't care how old any of you are anymore - lol.