Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yes and No

My new position is hard to classify. It's a step down when compared to job #1, a lateral move of sorts compared to job #2, and a step up from job #3.

The problem is once you've had some management experience it's hard to go back to anything that isn't a management role. Even if that means something bigger down the line.

Actually, let me clarify. My role isn't clearly defined and the new head of my department comes from a structure that allowed her a flock of assistants.

Now, she has no assistant.

So there are times when she asks me to help her (read: do for her) with assistant-esque tasks and you can imagine the raised eyebrow that I have when I'm looking at her looking me looking at her.

The "problem" that I referred to earlier is finding the line in which I can say "no" to somethings and not prevent her from saying "yes" when it comes time for me to move...up. I do not want to be self-righteous, but I don't want to downplay my capabilities.

Also, I need to make sure that I'm not thinking with my dani-tude.

Starting over is such a learning experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you on that! It's the same way I look at my boss when she asks my Master's Degree having behind to shred boxes of employee records *side-eye* Trying to find the balance between what you've done, can do, won't do and still need to do is tough especially when the future of your career is, in part, in someone else's hands. Someone recommended the book Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office....it's not new, but it supposedly gives great tips for situations like this. I'll be picking it up because I'll be damned if I shred one more file lol.

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

That's one of the problems I had working at the school I obtained my degree from. The havenots would try to demean me with trivial jobs like shredding. For really????? Umm that'll be a no and then the heiffa said oh I thought it would be fun? Fun, then you do it!!!