My budgeting abilities have always existed on a "worst case scenario" basis. My financial planning in years past has consisted of the question: "how many jobs do I need to have to maintain this lifestyle?"
I don't live extravagantly. I just don't save. Anything. Ever. My savings account is more like a short-term repository for my trite direct deposit amounts that will eventually be spent. Yea... that's a hard reality to see in print, but the point is to be honest.
I'm not dodging any repo men, I'm just acutely aware that is for any reason I couldn't work tomorrow things would be bad...quickly. I need to create more security for myself.
Part of what I've been working on this year and will continue to work on is consistency. I can plan and budget when things get tight. But, I need to work on doing it always. Making discipline the norm and not the exception will help me in the long run.
At the point at which I'm sitting down with my soon-to-be-spouse and talking about what we're both bringing to the table, I'd like to at the very least be able to contribute to the chairs and not heartburn.
2 comments:
Oh hell no!! And this is where having an anal Taurus friend kicks in! When you get back I have a number to a free financial planner for you to call asap!! I DO NOT play with my money and won't let you slack either lol. In the meantime....hit up ING asap and set up an account or 2. Definitely open the IRA account. We'll get you ready for marriage in no time :-)
thanks dlife! i'm in the same boat! i have a checking & a very fluid "savings" acct!
Post a Comment