I could take a step forward and leave a trail of blood on the floor, or I could remain in my crane stance trying to maintain my balance against the cold wall.
SH*T!
I had one foot in the shower and could have avoided this by not being so flighty, but it dawned on me that turning the iron on would make my post-shower process go quicker. The thought of a hot iron, quick "bump" of the front of my dress, and an even quicker exit from my apartment motivated me to take the one foot out of the shower and step into the hall.
It wasn't the instant pain of the first step, but more so the anguish of the second step that let me know instantly that I had indeed not only stepped on glass, but now had it lodged in the bottom of my foot. So now back to my quandry. Any step leads to a trail of blood. Too far away from the shower to just get back in it. No sandals in close view. Too far away from a tissue, toilet paper, cotton square, or gauze to even attempt to triage. More importantly I needed to remove this piece of pain immediately.
SH*T! I thought I cleaned up all of the broken glass from yesterday's ode to clumsiness. (Sigh)
It occurred to me in that moment, wow I really live alone. Yes, it should've occurred to me much earlier...maybe around the first obscene rent check. Or possibly the point at which I purchased 75% of the local target store and then had to figure out how to get it over the bridge, down the street, into the building and up to my apartment. Nope it took what would have been a hilarious scene if I wasn't in pain, for me to really process that I d.marie lived alone.
Let's be honest, I know that if anything serious ever happened I have some great people that can come to my aid, but in that moment what I needed more than anything else, was an extra set of hands. And maybe a robe....hmm....and some iodine.
Living alone has so many amazing advantages. Not having to apologize for my own sloppiness (and even occassional filth), always having total control of my television programming(which 99.9% of the time does not include ESPN), existing on a well-balanced diet of fruit loops and red wine(and enjoying both immensely), decorating (or not...in my case) exactly the way I wanted to....I mean the list is absolutely endless. But the downside to living alone is that when you really need someone else there few things are a comparable substitute.
I now need a new bath mat, but since I'm the only one looking at it that will probably happen later than sooner.
No comments:
Post a Comment