Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mommy & Me

I feel like I'm at the stage in my life when I need work on my relationshp with my mother. Not that we are estranged, but she has skillfully guided me in every aspect of my life, except my relationships.

She's definitely given me her thoughts about spending too much time (read: too many nights) at a significant other's house, or if she thought my guy-of-the-month wasn't focused enough she'd let me know, but I need her help and some wisdom.

Truth be told, its the fact that she's struggled in her relationship with my father AND the fact that she didn't get to establish herself as an individual before getting married that lays the framework for the type of candor and sounding board that I need right now.

We just struggle with those conversations. We are so similar that we hear, but we don't listen. We are so busy with our own conclusions that we've missed the real problem. We frustrate easily. I could go on for days.

I think this is worth my efforts though. I have some critical decisions to make and her voice is the one that I'm missing the most.

2 comments:

Adei von K said...

Awwww.

How old was M.Dot when G wifed her?

DaniColoredGlasses said...

She was 24...and had me @ 25