I wish I could feel settled. Since May 23, 2000 I have always felt like I'm on borrowed time in one location or another. I moved for undergrad, but knew that without fail every summer I would have to pack up my wares, put them in storage, go back to South Florida for three months, return to DC, unpack and do it all over again.
After graduation in 2004, I didn't have a plan (read: job) so I moved back home for what was supposed to be six months. It ended up being six years. You would think in that time I would've felt settled. Truth be told. I never unpacked. Most of my undergrad boxes remained packed and in storage until May 2010 when I moved to New York. The entire time that I was back in South Florida I felt/hoped/wished/prayed that I was only there temporarily.
My last 4+ months here have been a whirlwind of trips between FL, DC, and NY. I love to travel and it's the type of crazy that makes me smile. However, flying from South Florida back to New York yesterday felt bittersweet. I was excited to get to my bed and my familiar (yet new world), but there was still an undercurrent feeling of impermanence. Yes, I haven't been here long, but I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not sure if this move will be long-term(ie. more than a year).
I guess I have to see what the next year brings and what my next step will be, but I'm realizing more and more that I need to figure out my base. As podmate would say, I need to put down roots.
Ideally, I want a job and a life that involves travel and variety, but in order to do that and maintain a semblance of sanity I have to also have a constant. I'm ready to unpack.
2 comments:
I don't know your story but this is a nice reflection.
Real Talk, thank you!
Post a Comment