Saturday, April 11, 2009

Waiting

In my ripe old age of 25+1, I've managed to cultivate an aversion to waiting. I dislike lines and hate late appointments. I understand that today's world requires a modicum of patience, but I've failed to unearth that virtue.

Why...You may ask....am I like this?

1. My mother was the queen of "I'm five minutes away," and show up 30 min later.
--I was the kid sitting outside of girl scout meetings, youth group meetings, field trips, work....waiting....

It wasn't that my mom was malicious she just tried to accomplish 28 hrs of work in a 24 hr period.


2. My formative hair years were spent in my 'aunt's' shop where the wait time there is/was LEGENDARY.

-We would go to the shop on Friday after school (3pm) and leave Saturday morning (1am).
Homework for the weekend would be completed, we would get dropped off with snacks and order dinner while we were there.

To her credit, she was flexible with the service pay scale and you could make arrangements to stagger payments (that helps if you are a mom with two daughters....that's 3 heads @ a time(whew!)) She was also kind....but tardy and took forever!

Every single woman with a follicle of slightly ethnic hair in this county passed through that shop....and all eventually left with the same statement...."She does great hair...but we can't stand the wait!"

I went to her up until I started to pay for my own hair. The first time I paid for my own relaxer, she charged me full price and it took 5 hours. I haven't been back since.

With that type of background it's no wonder I am the way that I am. Furthermore, I've realized it's getting worse.

-I leave carts in the check-out line regularly..esp @ wal.mart (why do you have 42 lines but only 2 open?)
-I rarely make appts because I've inherited my mother's work schedule. But when I do.....(sigh) don't make me WAIT!


Does this mean that I'm an "on-time" person? Unfortunately not. But...Im a work-in-progress. However, when it comes to the service industry...the patience "train" has left the station.

1 comment:

DrMPH said...

I hate waiting as well. I don't wait in the line at the club I am way to old for that. I don't wait at the pharmacy I just yell and I don't wait in the parking lot at church on Easter Sunday for everyone to file out that won't be back to church until next Easter Sunday. I'm done. Have a wonderful day!