Saturday, October 17, 2009

Anti-Social Tendencies Die Hard

Some days I don't feel like playing.
Some days I don't "do" my own family.
Most days I don't "do" other families.
Brew laughs at my instant-perk attitude at family functions,
9 times out of 10 I'd rather be somewhere else....
but they'd never know it.
In this relationship I've made incredible strides by not making an instant beeline to a back bedroom and staying out of the way during family functions....
I'm trying....but sometimes the habits die hard.

Today I tried to do some Mother-Daughter bonding...only for my mother to tell me she didn't feel like going out (she then proceeded to vacuum her room). Maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and she didn't "feel like playing." Either way I realized I couldn't deal with whatever was sparking her mood. I took refuge at Sweet's house. He was going to work and I would have the space to myself....score!

Here is where the fun begins....Sweets and his dad live together, much like my mom and I do. If you saw what rent in this city looked like, you'd completely understand. His dad is selectively attentive, so most times I go completely undetected....fine by me.

As I'm watching the "Say Y.es To T.he D.ress" I start to hear voices coming into the house. Hmmm....the front doorbell rings a couple of times, but hey it's not my house so I continue on with my marathon and office work. Then I realize that there are more than a few voices and now I smell food.

WTH???....soooo at this point the mini-party has been going on for at least 2 hours. I've been in an i.tunes/TLC oblivion, so the window of time that it would have been appropriate to emerge and greet people has passed. At this point, no one realizes I'm here.....therefore making a sudden appearance is grounds to get shot/talked badly about(not sure which is worse). Sweets' dad is in law enforcement...hence the "shot" statement.

Now my golden plan had been to stay here for a few hours, get some work down in solitude and then head home. Ummm.....Now I'm trapped. If I emerge from the room to escape out of the garage door or the front door it will be "slightly" obvious that I've been here the whole time. Thus making me the rude, lurking g/f that left the house without speaking. If I just emerge and converse it would be completely awkward because again the questions would be "where did you come from?" and "why are you here?" and then I'd have to feign politeness until Sweets gets back from work. I so wish my window escape skills were up to par.

Ugh I'm trapped!!!!!....and I so need to use the Little Girl's room....

No comments: