Thursday, December 18, 2008

Aisle Runner...The Metaphor

So yesterday I spent the evening with my bestie watching her painstaking and slightly masochistic, pre-wedding aisle runner craft project.  Apparently before I had gotten there the stencil, paint, and prayer project had taken an unpleasant turn and she had to scrap one aisle runner and start on a new one.

I watched the process and have been thinking about it all morning.  I guess the task really just seemed like one big metaphor for the process that goes into a successful relationship.

It took research, sometimes painstakingly calculated motions, and she had to be able to improvise when things didn't go according to plan.  It took the kind of effort and attention to details that successful couples talk about when they credit the successes and sometimes failures that goes into their relationships.

When she was finished, while she recognized that it wasn't a perfect piece she could realize the potential that was in the project. (Personally i think it's smashing...take a look).


Someone close to my heart will always be remembered for his quote: "I'm not a human being, I'm a human becoming."

Any undertaking can't be judged and/or defined by the final product.  The 'meat' is in the process.

I guess the point is....Lets make sure that we are enjoying the different 'projects' that we have going on in our lives.

No comments: