Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Line In The Sand....

Remember when everyone was just dating? Think about your closest friends and dating in high school. The playing field was level. You were either 'talking', 'dating', or 'single.'

Now there are engagements, marriages, and kids in the mix and the dynamics are changing. I'm trying to figure out when that change occurs.

At what point does someone who's 'just dating' stop having valid advice for someone who's 'engaged'? At what point does inviting your girl out and about, translate into an implied invite of her significant other? At what point do you take your other half into consideration when life planning?

Is it at the 2.5 year mark of dating? Is it at the presence of a ring? Is it at the point that the date is set? Is it at the point of 'I Do'? Is it when the minivan rolls out?

Just wondering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've actually started noticing that myself. I think it starts to happen somewhere around junior or senior year of college, when people start preparing for the future and life outside of the dorm. Then around 25 it picks up the pace.

I think you start taking the other person into consideration when you reach the point of not being able to see your life without them. This happens at different stages for everyone, but I think it's that general feeling that lets you know that it's time to think of more than just yourself.

P.S. I gave you a Happy 101 Blog Award :-) http://thedlife.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/happy-101-blog-award/

Adei von K said...

I remember "talking". I remember my mom telling my day I was just "talking" to whoever and my dad asking, "What are they talking about?" LOLOLOL

Yeah now, it's not fun. The pressure is on no matter what point you're at.

I shuddered when I read 'minivan'.

I am so hoping you've thought about your other half before 'I do' and soccer practices.

I think when you get a ring. Otherwise, you might be setting yourself up for... something you didn't think was going to happen. You make your life plans with S.O. i mind but S.O. made plans and you just happen to be in them, you follow me?