Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sticks and Stones.....

Nine (or maybe 12) years ago I wrote a letter to my then boyfriend. I don't remember what the letter said exactly, but I do remember that it was a summation of his inadequacies, my unhappiness, why we should no longer date, and it probably outlined why he should play in traffic.

We broke up and then shortly thereafter got back together(no comment on that cycle). For the next 6-8 months he would make reference to the not-so-nice things that I said in the note.

Finally, I asked him if he still had the note lying around because even I didn't remember what I had written. He pulled it out and I re-read what was a cold-hearted account of exactly what I was feeling at that moment. The problem with that was I didn't have a lot of those feelings once I calmed down. To be honest, I didn't remember much once I calmed down.

The letter, however, didn't disappear along with my rage. From that point I promised myself not to write with rage. Nine (or 12) years later, I'm still working on that promise. Some days are better than others, but it's one of the few things that I've managed to maintain.

(Deleting draft post)

1 comment:

Brew said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!