Thursday, January 28, 2010

Are you "Gellin" ?

A man came into the store last night to try on loafers. He took off his own well-worn shoe, put his foot in the brand new loafer, took two steps and proclaimed that he could feel the side of the shoe alongside his pinky toe and it was uncomfortable.

I wanted to clarify.

I asked him, "Is it squeezing your toe?"

He said, "No, I can just feel it. I'm sure the leather will give as I wear it, but i don't want to wait. I want it to be comfortable from day one."

I smiled as he left the store. Thinking about all of the shoes that I'm willing to wear because they are cute and not comfortable. I have heels that have a 30 minute window. I put them on as I'm approaching a venue, walk in, slide them off as I sit down, and put them back on when it's time to leave. They look GREAT! They feel like hell.

Oh to be a man!

There's a metaphor here, but it's no fun to always be obvious.

3 comments:

Jameil said...

I would have far fewer shoes if I could be like him. I already stopped shopping at Aldo b/c I've never found a comfortable shoe there but I have some gorgeous shoes that sit in my closet b/c I can't walk in them more than 2 minutes.

Adei von K said...

Aww man, I did a big girl thing and got rid of (put aside) a pair of shoes that bring me straight and utter pain. They look so good but we're getting too old to be uncomfortable for fashion. Not saying wear easy spirits or anything like that but, yeah.

Patti said...

I agree with Stace 100% - I am too old to suffer for the sake of cute shoes. As a result, I own significantly fewer shoes than I used to. If they hurt, they will likely stay in the store.