Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Deal With The Devil(s)

I remember a point at which we were home during the summer with our mom and she had a cold. I remember, not because I'm a caring daughter, but because I remember the deal that struck with me.

The conversation went something like.....

Mom: "Dani come here"
Dani: (walked over to the bed)
Mom: "Watch your sister while I take a nap. Do not answer the door, or the phone. Do not go outside. Do not turn on the stove. Do not burn down the house. Put in a movie and play with your sister quietly. Make a sandwich if you are hungry and make sure you take your nap on time. I'm trusting you to be a big girl. Do not make me get out of this bed because of foolishness. BEHAVE."
Dani: Ok

(ok maybe it wasn't a deal more so an ultimatum)

We played quietly, skipped the nap, and enjoyed a micro-management free day, while mom and her ebola worked everything out.

That's how I feel today. I just want to hit "send" on this email and not have to fire myself.


Dear staff,

Please don't IM or email me arguing about how you don't like your interim team leader. Please just sit in the corner quietly and do your work. That way I won't lash out at you in a Benadryl induced haze and/or feel compelled to make budget cuts. I'm here alllllll the time and I just need a few days of quiet. I would take off, but two ppl are on vacation and I can't violate my own policy about multiple ppl being out. Sooooo....just sit quietly, do your work, don't burn the company to the ground and when I get better you'll still have a job.

Thanks,

Management

1 comment:

Adei von K said...

I love the MDot memories.

So.... you can't let them have a free day? On my sudafed sponsored at work sick days, I let them do whatever they want but if my name is even whispered, they have to sit down.