Monday, August 31, 2009

No "Us" In Growth

I've been thinking really hard about where I am in my life and what I want to accomplish. Ana, RJ and I were discussing, over lunch, vision boards and the importance of speaking your goals into existence.

Which made me think. If I'm on my grind, have my board worked out, and am speaking my goals into existence, I should assume Sweets is doing the same with his goals...right?

Over the past few weeks, I've watched him get serious about writing, rehearsing, and sharing his talent with anyone who will listen. Meanwhile, I've been job hunting, networking, and scouting corners in GA & DC for my ankle-grabbing, money-making, back-up plan (I kid.....maybe).

The point is.....growth & achieving goals tend to be selfish things. Lets be honest....the person that is living the life you want right now, has the job you want, the man/woman you want, and/or the body you want etc. 99% of the time achieved that goal not by being considerate....but by "kicking butt and taking names." Conversely, couples that are the most secure have mastered the art of compromise and communication.

I know, I know....optimists will tell you that you can have both. The realist in me tells me that at some point two dreams will come to head and someone will have to defer theirs for the good of the couple-dom. The Veruca Salt in me doesn't like that....




To be clear Sweets & I have "us" goals and dreams as well. However, there are things that we both want individually and I just wonder how that will all play out.

2 comments:

Adei von K said...

Hmmmm. so so true. as technically single people, we don't think of us. but to me, at this point in our lives, planning as a 'we' is simply a contingency plan.

Jameil said...

always difficult. but i'm w/adei. until we're an official as in engaged or married we, i'm taking you into consideration but i can't put my life on pause or even on slower.