Sunday, August 30, 2009

Eyes Wide Open

I've been avoiding all things to do with my ex. I don't know why exactly....I guess I just didn't want any awkward interactions, I didn't want to feel any longing regarding friends lost....I just didn't want __________(the blanks are an anomaly). In this tiny/big county that can get a bit sticky, but over the last year I've been pretty successful.

Today, I stumbled on his pictures(gasp)...... and I had to smile. I couldn't place anyone or anything in the pics. It was a completely different life and more so a completely different person staring back at me....and I was ok with that.


Whaaa??? (who have I really become? I usually always care--hmm guess not)

The most the picture yielded was my own desire to speed up my departure from the mundanity of my every day and kick start a new career in a new location. Effectively, peace--I've now come to realize--can be found in the most random of places.

I didn't have complete peace about being the "bad guy" and hurting someone I cared about. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take anything back and I'm happier with Sweets than I've ever been. I think that in my mind peace was something that was tied to forgiveness and forgiveness was never going to happen. Due to a lack of peace, I was avoiding the possibility of coming across anything to do with the ex. I guess because I didn't know what would happen, or not happen. I've been muddled in a path of uncertainty. Why in the world would I give something/someone so much power and why go through the energy to avoid?

Lesson Learned: I am completely capable of granting my own peace. I'll stop the avoidance now, because at this point I have plans for my future that require my attention.

5 comments:

Brew said...

Me likey!

Naima said...

Yes!!!

Jameil said...

interesting. i've been heavy in the avoidance phase myself and am now kind of thinking i wouldn't mind not avoiding myself. it was a different part of my life. i know what you mean.

DrMPH said...

Amen Sister!

Rashan Jamal said...

For non avoidance leads to hanging around. I'll pass on that for now. Good for you that you got your insight.