Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Plans Do Not Include You.....

work |wərk|
noun
1 activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result : he was tired after a day's work in the fields. See note at labor .
• ( works) [in combination ] a place or premises for industrial activity, typically manufacturing : he found a job in the ironworks.
2 such activity as a means of earning income; employment : I'm still looking for work.


volunteer |ˌvälənˈtir|
noun
a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task.
• a person who works for an organization without being paid.

volunteerism |ˌvälənˈti(ə)rˌizəm|
noun
the use or involvement of volunteer labor, esp. in community services.

Recently, my boss asked me what I had set up for my team to accomplish over the next six months. I wasn't sure if I was more upset that I was getting this question 5 min before my shift started, or if I was more upset that payroll checks were one month behind and I was being asked about tasks 6 months down the line.

Working for a small company that has had more than its share of financial "bumps" in the road, I know that sometimes things don't go according to plan when it comes to payroll. The benefit to the company is that there is virtually no bureaucracy. More importantly the flexibility of telecommuting is fantastic. Maybe I should rephrase that to "was fantastic."

I've realized that I'm getting older--no sob stories here--but realistically 25+2 is staring at and is one short month away. I've got goals, dreams, debauchery that I'd like to accomplish before mini-me's enter the picture. It's time for me to stop wanting more and get it. Time for me to stop wishing for better and simply stop settling for worse.

The dialogue that I've been having in my mind has become a soliloquy titled: "It's time."

So I don't know what the team will be doing 6 months from now, but come "hell or high water" (thanks mom) it won't be my responsibility. I've gotten what I needed (that'll be the next post) and now its time to go.

2 comments:

Adei von K said...

That's right!!! Get the FLIP out of here!! and tell me how fabulous it is anywhere but here.

Jameil said...

you betta do it!