Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Exes/Ohs

I can't wait until my relationship gets to a point that ex references are a rarity and not the standard. Unfortunately, right now to not talk about our past relationships would ultimately prove fatal in this one.

For instance, I have a pet peeve about talking to other people when I call you (or you call me). Drives me insane. To explain that pet peeve properly, I'd need to go back to 1997 when my then boyfriend prompted 45 of his nearest and dearest friends to call me on his behalf (some from his phone) and beg me to accept his apology (for what? I can't remember). It was embarrassing, but sweet in a high-school sort of way, the first time he did it. However, because it worked once he tried to use that same method again later in our relationship.

It wasn't that sweet.

Since then, short of a parent wanting to chat, I've had a firm rule about not hearing anyone else's voice if your number is on the caller ID.

That story....like many others has to be told with some reference to my ex.

It's great when you hear an ex story and it gives you the opportunity to note what not to do, without making the mistake yourself. It's when you get a great ex story...a memory...that gets hard to swallow.

I want to know those things and often times I'm the one that asks for as much information as possible, but I can't lie it's not always easy to stomach what I'm hearing. Especially, if there is no chance of replacing that memory.

LC very sweetly tries to balance a good memory reference with a terrible one. IE. "she would whisper sweet things to me that I enjoyed hearing, but her breath smelled like hot dog water."

Thank you for that one. I appreciate it.

Right now, despite having a skillion year friendship, so much of our relationship is new and the ex talk has to happen, but OHHHHH I won't miss that part of our chats as we get further down the line.

No comments: