Friday, July 9, 2010

Who Knew....

Let me tell you a story about 2001.....

I was in my dorm spending time with my suitemate and her roommate. Now for the life of me I can't even tell you her roommates last name right now, but at that time she was "my girl" by proxy and she came to us with an interesting problem.

She had met a guy that she was interested in, but she was too nervous to go over to his apartment by herself. I actually think she was also afraid of the dark(sigh). Nevertheless, my suitemate and I had an interesting night of nothing lined up so we volunteered to go with her.


I remember the sweats I threw on for the trip over. I remember feeling no pressure because this was totally not about me. I was there for my own sheer amusement...to watch what I knew... would be an awkward encounter.

We got to his place and that's where the story got interesting. Not only did we meet the guy she was interested in, but we met his roommate, Latham. Let's call him L.C. for short.

There were a few things determined that night. My suitemate ended up not getting along with either guy. Her roommate and the guy that she was nervous to spend time with clearly weren't meant for each other. The last thing that was determined was that L.C. and I managed to leave an impression on each other.


We went out a few times throughout undergrad, remained good friends post grad, and always at the core there was always an inexplicable bit of intrigue that was sparked the night we met. Unfortunately, I never thought that we could transition what was seemingly a good friendship into a relationship. More accurately, I just didn't think I was the type of woman he wanted to date.

Nine years later....

I realize now that I had spent the last nine years trying to find someone who was as close to L.C. as possible.

The reality was that the time that we spent together subconsciously shaped my dating expectations. As well, the time that we spent together made up some of my best HU memories.

I'm not overstating.

I know. I said I didn't think I was the type of woman that he wanted to date. He was, however, the type of man that I was looking for.

Here's what I needed: Someone who I could have a great time with, someone who wasn't hesitant to call me out my foolishness, someone who was willing to not only read every word I had ever (no seriously...EVER) written, but also to critique it and most importantly someone who was willing and able to treat me like I was the most important person (short of their mother) they had ever come across.

Pretty big shoes to fill....right?
Wrong.
I finally found what I was looking for.
I just had to stop trying to find a substitute.
P.S. Apparently I was exactly the type of woman he was looking for....who knew?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG....that is so cute and sweet! I love it when love comes full circle!!! :-) Now when I see you, you need to rub some of that luck off on me before I become an old hermit with 6 cats...sigh :-(

Naima said...

Awwwwwwwwwww!!!!! *beams*

AphiQprincess said...

Awww and HU love story

DrMPH said...

CAn I get a what what LOL glad you found what you were looking for :)