I was listening to the radio this morning and heard a contest linked to the new Toni Braxton reality show. The contest was called "Live like a Braxton" and if you won, you were given monetary prizes.
Wouldn't the Braxtons like to live like a Braxton? Hasn't Toni Braxton filed for bankruptcy numerous times? I'm not judging, I'm genuinely asking. What are we perpetuating? "Live above your means until the government comes knocking on your door for back taxes?"
That's a game I can live without.
For me, one the hardest part about adulthood is just being honest. Overextending myself and/or shading the truth feels great, until I can no longer support it. Having a brand new bag, but no lunch money? It gets old. Quickly.
For me the journey of adulthood has been about substance.
I won't make this post about reality tv shows and unrealistic tokens of the rich life, with little signs of effort, taxable income, ownership, or true wealth. But lets be honest sometimes you see those things and you want them.
But where is the substance?
If reality TV shows aren't your thing, look at your own reality. Ever spend too much time on someone's FB page and start to question your own life? Ever run into the girlfriend with the diamond, stroller, perfect hair and outfit and feel a pang of envy? Ever run into a classmate who you know underperformed and they tell you about the job that nets more for them by lunch then you stand to make all day?
What did it take for them to get those things?
Wanting to better yourself is not the same as wanting to be someone else. Live like a Braxton? I'll pass, clearly I've got a better shot just trying to be a better Dani. I'm working on the substance first and the glamorous things will come (and I'll own them).
1 comment:
OMG. When I heard that on the radio this morning the exact same thought rain through my head.... Shoot can I live like Kimberly.. Love your colored glasses....
Post a Comment