Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Was Dad In Love?

BK's finest and harlem transplant Dani posed an interesting question in her Clutch mag article yesterday. She asked, "What did you wish your father had told you about love?" My answer popped in my mind instantly. I wish my dad had said that he was in it. Love that is.

When I was younger, my dad talked about how he and my mom met. I've heard him say that he loved my mom. I've never heard him say that he was in love.

The vulnerability that comes with being love is something that I wish I had seen from him as I grew into my own adulthood. The fact that you can feel something that encompasses you fully and orders your thoughts and actions is something that I think we all comprehend...at least conceptually.

How many of us can talk about seeing that in older love.

Thankfully, I can experience that watching my grandfather, but it would have been great to have experienced that from my father.

I hope that the man that I marry doesn't completely lose that feeling of being "in love." More importantly, I hope that if we have kids, they know what its like to hear their father talk about being "in love" firsthand.

No comments: